Wrestling is a one-on-one combat sport conducted on a circular mat and involves grappling techniques such as clinch wrestling, throws and takedowns and the ultimate goal is to pin the opponents back to the mat.
There are two styles of Wrestling, Greco-Roman and Freestyle.
Greco-Roman and Freestyle wrestling basically differ as follows:
In Greco-Roman Wrestling, it is strictly forbidden to grasp the opponent below the belt line, or to trip him or to use the legs actively on his opponent to perform any action.
In Freestyle Wrestling and in Women’s Wrestling, however, it is permissible to grasp the legs of the opponent, to trip him/her and to use the legs actively to perform any action. Women’s Wrestling follows the rules of Freestyle Wrestling, forbidding however the Double Nelsons.
Wrestling is considered the oldest sport on earth and can be traced back 15,000 years through cave drawings in France.
The modern history of Wrestling began with a rise in popularity during the 19th century leading to the development of the modern sports of Greco-Roman Wrestling, which became an Olympic sport in 1896.
The international governing body, United World Wrestling (UWW), was established in 1912 in Antwerp, Belgium.
At Ashgabat 2017
Wrestling at Ashgabat 2017 will take place from 24–26 September and will involve a total of 22 medal competitions in Greco-Roman and Freestyle with 16 for men and 6 for women. The action will take place inside the Main Indoor Arena.
59kg, 66kg, 71kg, 75kg, 80kg, 85kg, 98kg, 130kg
48kg, 53kg, 55kg, 58kg, 60kg, 63kg, 69kg, 75kg
57kg, 61kg, 65kg, 70kg, 74kg, 86kg, 97kg, 125kg
For all medal events, a direct elimination system with simple repechage will be used to produce two finalists, who will compete for the gold medal.
All Wrestlers who lose against either of the finalists at any stage of the competition, up to and including the semi-finals, will contest a Repechage, which will take place after the semi-finals and before the gold medal bout. The winners of the two Repechage groups will each be awarded bronze medals, with the losers of these bronze medal bouts awarded an equal fifth place.
Each weight category begins and ends in a day.
- Wrestling is considered the oldest sport on earth. Cave drawings dating back to 3,000 B.C. depict the sport
- In the Middle Ages wrestling was popular among the Royal Families of England, Japan and France
|No medals awarded|
- Latest NewsToday (10:15)
- Latest News23 September, 2017 (20:00)
- Latest News14 September, 2017 (10:31)
- Latest News10 September, 2017 (10:00)
- Latest News08 September, 2017 (12:15)
- Latest News28 August, 2017 (12:40)
- Latest News22 August, 2017 (16:03)
- Latest News29 June, 2017 (17:55)
- Latest News21 June, 2017 (09:56)
- Latest News16 June, 2017 (16:56)
- Latest News19 May, 2017 (11:11)
- Latest News18 May, 2017 (14:24)
- Latest News30 October, 2016 (09:59)
- Latest News27 September, 2016 (11:27)
- Latest News08 September, 2016 (19:01)
- Latest News08 July, 2016 (10:21)
- Latest News
Celebration in honour of winners of Asian goresh and belt wrestling championship was held in National institute of sport and tourism04 July, 2016 (13:40)
- Latest News
Turkmen masters of national wrestling goresh took first place in total count during Asian Championship28 June, 2016 (23:01)
- Latest News07 June, 2016 (11:03)
- Latest News
The national junior team in freestyle wrestling is being formed to take part in the championships of Asia and the world15 March, 2016 (11:47)