Tennis is a racquet sport that is played indoors as well as outdoors and on different surfaces such as clay, grass or hardcourt. The surfaces require different tactics because the ball’s bouncing behaviour varies.
Players hit a ball to each other over a net using racquets, with an aim to strike the ball in such a way that the opponent is not able to play a valid return, and therefore win a point. Winning four points wins a game, and winning six games wins a set. The first to win two sets wins the match.
There are 3 different types of disciplines in Tennis: Singles (one against one), Doubles (two against two) for both men and women, and Mixed Doubles (each pair consisting of one male and one female player).
Historians believe that the game’s ancient origins lie in 12th century northern France, where a ball was struck with the palm of the hand. It wasn’t until the 16th century that rackets came into use, and the game began to be called Tennis, from the French term Tenez, which can be translated as hold, receive or take. The world’s oldest Tennis tournament, the Wimbledon Championships, was first played in London in 1877. The rules of Tennis have changed little since the 1890s.
At Ashgabat 2017
Fans attending the 5th Asian Indoor and Martial Arts Games will get to watch five medal events in Singles (men and women), Doubles (men and women) and Mixed Doubles, contested over 11 days at the Indoor Tennis Centre from 16–26 September.
All Singles and Doubles matches will be determined by a best-of-three sets with the winner advancing through to the next round.
- Rectangular courts were created in 1875 for Wimbledon. Originally, the court was an hour-glass shape
- The Wimbledon Championships, is the oldest tennis tournament in the world, and considered to be the most prestigious
- Latest News26 September, 2017 (21:49)
- Latest News25 September, 2017 (22:17)
- Latest News25 September, 2017 (10:20)
- Latest News24 September, 2017 (10:15)
- Latest News23 September, 2017 (23:48)
- Latest News23 September, 2017 (10:51)
- Latest News22 September, 2017 (22:36)
- Latest News19 September, 2017 (23:02)
- Latest News19 September, 2017 (20:39)
- Latest News08 September, 2017 (12:15)
- Latest News01 September, 2017 (18:14)
- Latest News21 August, 2017 (10:21)
- Latest News22 May, 2017 (16:00)
- Latest News28 September, 2016 (11:34)
- Latest News23 September, 2016 (21:40)
- Latest News22 September, 2016 (11:04)
- Other News
Horse run relay race: Balkan province received the horse relay race in honor of the Asian Games 201726 June, 2016 (19:40)
- Latest News06 March, 2016 (10:28)
- Latest News01 February, 2016 (18:09)
- Latest News14 November, 2013 (21:15)