Taekwondo combines combat techniques, self-defence, sport, exercise, meditation and philosophy. Taekwondo is characterised by its emphasis on head-height kicks, jumping and spinning kicks, and fast kicking techniques.
Taekwondo competition typically involves sparring, breaking, patterns, demonstration teams, and self-defence.
Kyorugi is an actual fight between two competitors using the offensive and defensive skills acquired through the practice of Taewkondo. Kyorugi means not only sparring but also a version of real fighting. The original implication of Kyorugi is to measure the opponent’s power with your own technique.
Poomsae is the style of conduct which expresses mental and physical refinements as well as the principles of offence and defence resulting from cultivation of Taekwondo spirit and techniques. Poomsae is a set of fighting techniques, so it is acting in relation with the opponent.
Taekwondo was developed during the 1940s and 1950s by incorporating elements of Karate and Chinese martial arts with traditional Korean martial arts traditions such as Taekkyeon, Subak, and Gwonbeop.
World Taekwondo was founded in 1973 by the Korea Taekwondo Association, and, since 2000, Taekwondo has been included in the Olympic Games.
At Ashgabat 2017
Taekwondo will host two events at Ashgabat 2017, the Kyorugi with seven weight categories for both men and women from September 18–21, and Poomsae, which will include an individual and team event for men and women on 22 September.
There will be 18 medal events with all the action taking place inside the Taekwondo DanceSport Arena.
-54kg, -58kg, -63kg, -68k, -74kg, -80kg, -87kg
-46kg, -49kg, -53kg, -57kg, -62kg, -67kg, -73kg
Men’s Individual Under 30 years old
Men’s Team Under 30 years old
Women’s Individual Under 30 years old
Women’s Team Under 30 years old
Kyorugi will use a direct elimination system to produce two finalists. All athletes who lose against either of the finalists will have the opportunity to contest for a bronze medal in the repechage. The competition will include elimination rounds, repechage rounds and finals.
Poomsae will use a cut off system to determine the athletes that will advance to the finals. The top four athletes will be awarded medals with the third and fourth place receiving a bronze medal.
- Taekwondo was designated as the national martial art of Korea after World War II
- The Taekwondo uniform is called the “Dobok”. A white belt is included upon the first rank, and the belt color would change as one advances in their ranks
- Taekwondo is also seen in Chuck Norris , Jean-Claude Van Damme and Tony Jaa movies, as well as many Hong Kong action films
|1||Islamic Republic of Iran||7||2||4||13|
|2||Republic of Korea||4||2||1||7|
|3||People's Republic of China||2||4||3||9|
- Latest News22 September, 2017 (22:36)
- Latest News22 September, 2017 (09:32)
- Latest News21 September, 2017 (23:05)
- Latest News21 September, 2017 (10:18)
- Latest News20 September, 2017 (10:26)
- Latest News19 September, 2017 (23:02)
- Latest News18 September, 2017 (23:01)
- Latest News11 September, 2017 (15:37)
- Latest News08 September, 2017 (12:15)
- Latest News14 August, 2017 (09:30)
- Latest News01 August, 2017 (10:43)
- Latest News03 July, 2017 (13:50)
- Latest News29 June, 2017 (17:55)
- Latest News30 October, 2016 (10:06)
- Latest News30 March, 2016 (18:31)
- Latest News
Two "silver" and "bronze" added to its asset Turkmen taekwondo sportsmen at the Asian Championship: 10 medals in two days28 March, 2016 (16:28)
- Latest News
Our taekwondo athletes successfully started at the Asian Championships in Almaty: 7 medals in the first day27 March, 2016 (18:30)
- Latest News
Turkmen taekwondo sportsmen will compete for medals at the Asian Championship in Almaty and the World Cup in Italy15 February, 2016 (19:41)
- Latest News09 January, 2014 (21:14)