Turkmen kickboxers clinch place in history
Four Turkmen kickboxers guaranteed their place in history by winning gold medals at the Ashgabat 2017 5th Asian Indoor and Martial Arts Games.
The men delivered victories in a closely-fought contest with for top spot in the competition at the Muaythai Kickboxing Arena from Saturday 23 September to Tuesday 26 September.
Turkmen Merdan Mamedow, (Kick Light -69kg), Muhammet Altybayew (Low Kick -63.5kg), H Geldimammedow (Kick Light -74kg) and Gocmyrat Jumanyyazow (Low Kick -71kg) were the success stories.
There were mixed emotions for Mamedow, who beat close friend and countryman Sanzarbek Sapayew in the final of the men’s Kick Light -69kg on Monday 25 September.
“This medal means more to me than all the other things I have won because this is my country and this is my dream,” Mamedow said.
“I’m really happy but I can’t feel my face at all. It is hurting me to smile. I am so happy to have this medal and for my friend to have the gold,” Sapayew said.
While Iran finished top of the rankings with five gold medals, Turkmenistan’s overall medal count in the Kickboxing competition was 14, two better than their rivals.
There were 15 gold medals available in 11 categories for men and four for women. With Turkmenistan and Iran dominating, the other six gold medals were spread between Kazakhstan – who won two – and Tajikistan, Iraq, China, and Kyrgyzstan.
- Latest News27 September, 2017 (11:11)
- Latest News26 September, 2017 (21:49)
- Latest News25 September, 2017 (22:17)
- Latest News25 September, 2017 (10:20)
- Latest News24 September, 2017 (22:45)
- Latest News24 September, 2017 (10:15)
- Latest News23 September, 2017 (23:48)
- Latest News23 September, 2017 (10:51)
- Latest News14 September, 2017 (18:24)
- Latest News09 September, 2017 (16:42)
- Latest News08 September, 2017 (12:15)
- Latest News08 September, 2017 (12:09)
- Latest News02 May, 2017 (15:02)
- Latest News01 May, 2017 (10:53)
- Latest News29 April, 2017 (23:24)
- Latest News29 April, 2017 (16:00)
- Latest News28 April, 2017 (21:45)
- Latest News27 April, 2017 (22:35)
- Latest News26 April, 2017 (21:16)
- Latest News26 April, 2017 (17:49)