Daily Preview: Action begins in Belt Wrestling, 3x3 Basketball and Billiards
Local hero Zuhra Madraimowa seeks to win her second gold medal for Turkmenistan at Ashgabat 2017, in Day 1 of the Belt Wrestling at the Main Indoor Arena.
In all, fourteen gold medals will be decided in Belt Wrestling's Freestyle discipline on Tuesday. Men will compete in -55kg, -60kg, -70kg, -80kg, -90kg, -100kg, +100kg and women in -50kg, -55kg, 60kg, -65kg, -70kg and +70kg.
Madraimowa, who won gold in Traditional Wrestling on Saturday, is entered in the –60kg event, and will hope to avoid Kyrgyzstan legend Meerim Momunova. Known as ‘Mery’, Momunova has been crowned Asian champion in 2015, won national titles in 2015 and 2016 and also claimed the national Judo championship in 2016.
Meanwhile, Mongolian basketball star Tsenguunbayar Gotov, ranked 95th in the FIBA individual world rankings, believes the sport's third AIMAG appearance could be a classic.
“There are some really strong teams in Ashgabat to fight for the medals – Turkmenistan, Qatar, Thailand and our side are among the contenders, but there is always room for a surprise,” said Gotov ahead of the first day of the tournament on Tuesday, when Mongolia face Kyrgyzstan and Uzbekistan.
Also starting Tuesday is the Billiards. The only athlete at Ashgabat 2017 representing Brunei Darussalam – Ahmad Taufiq Bin M Murni – will compete in the men’s 9-Ball Pool Singles, which makes up the Day 1 schedule along with 6-Red Snooker, Russian Pyramid Dynamic Style Singles and 3-Cushion Carom Singles in an all-male programme.
News #Belt Wrestling
- Latest News23 September, 2017 (23:48)
- Latest News23 September, 2017 (10:51)
- Latest News22 September, 2017 (22:36)
- Latest News22 September, 2017 (09:32)
- Latest News21 September, 2017 (23:05)
- Latest News21 September, 2017 (17:15)
- Latest News21 September, 2017 (10:18)
- Latest News20 September, 2017 (19:13)
- Latest News20 September, 2017 (12:30)
- Latest News20 September, 2017 (10:26)
- Latest News19 September, 2017 (23:02)
- Latest News18 September, 2017 (23:59)
- Latest News13 September, 2017 (09:48)
- Latest News08 September, 2017 (12:15)
- Latest News
The national team of Turkmenistan is the second in the team standings in the World Youth Belt Wrestling Championship29 November, 2016 (12:37)
- Latest News08 September, 2016 (19:01)
- Latest News
Celebration in honour of winners of Asian goresh and belt wrestling championship was held in National institute of sport and tourism04 July, 2016 (13:40)
- Latest News29 June, 2016 (16:00)
- Latest News
At the tournament series "Grand Prix" belt wrestling national team of Turkmenistan in Bishkek won 11 medals17 March, 2016 (19:56)