Shining First Stars – meet Dovran!
13 September, 2017 (13:58)
These are exciting times for Turkmenistan which has gone through an extraordinary infrastructure development programme to prepare for the fast approaching 5th Asian Indoor and Martial Arts Games.
And like every Turkmen man and woman throughout the country, the start of the country’s biggest ever event on Sunday in Ashgabat will mark a proud moment for one young student who has been at the heart of the prepations.
Dovran Babayev, a fourth year construction engineering student at the Turkmen State Institute of Architecture and Construction, is also a First Star volunteer who is striving to make Ashgabat 2017 a roaring success.
Different from many youngsters his age, Dovran, who is a Protocol Team Leader, began his volunteering journey on an outstation project.
“Unlike many of my peers who began their volunteering journeys with competitions at home, I was lucky to work on the inaugural European Games in Baku, Azerbaijan, in 2015. I was assigned to the Athletes Village and was a member of the Village Operations team. It was an unforgettable experience,” he said.
“I learned a lot from the European Games. I had to confirm that all rooms in the Athletes Village were well maintained. I also had to check athletes in and out of their accommodation and was also expected to troubleshoot in case of any problems. It was intense, but I loved my initiation into volunteer work,” he added.
Dovran capitalised on his good start and became actively involved with test events for Ashgabat 2017.
“I worked in different departments during the test events. While I was in the transportation section during Sambo, Kurash, Indoor Athletics and Indoor Tennis, I was put in the protocol team during Basketball, Ju Jitsu and Kickboxing. Personally, I liked my protocol assignments more as I got to meet a lot of VIPs,” said Dovran, who added that volunteering has taught him more than he could have imagined.
“I learnt a lot about working with a team, both as a member and as a leader. I had to assign them responsibilities, constantly motivate them and also solve problems as they arose. It was a huge confidence booster and it made me a better person. I want to continue with volunteering work in the future as well,” he said.
- Latest News13 September, 2017 (17:00)
- Latest News13 September, 2017 (13:58)
- Latest News12 September, 2017 (13:08)
- Latest News11 September, 2017 (14:45)
- Latest News11 September, 2017 (13:42)
- Latest News09 September, 2017 (12:09)
- Latest News07 September, 2017 (16:59)
- Latest News06 September, 2017 (11:41)
- Latest News03 September, 2017 (09:00)
- Latest News01 September, 2017 (18:43)
- Latest News31 August, 2017 (20:05)
- Latest News29 August, 2017 (11:05)
- Latest News26 August, 2017 (17:00)
- Latest News24 August, 2017 (17:31)
- Latest News21 August, 2017 (17:00)
- Latest News19 August, 2017 (17:00)
- Latest News16 August, 2017 (09:44)
- Latest News14 August, 2017 (11:40)
- Latest News11 August, 2017 (10:04)
- Latest News09 August, 2017 (10:29)