Shining First Stars – meet Bayram
11 September, 2017 (13:42)
Bayram Mammetyazov is a student learning about the construction of bridges and tunnels to support his country’s journey down the road of modernisation.
But his spare time of late has been taken up by a huge national project that will have an enormous positive impact on the future of Turkmenistan as a whole.
The fourth year student at the Turkmen State Institute of Architecture and Construction has signed up as a volunteer First Star for the 5th Asian Indoor and Martial Arts Games and has taken his place as a member of the Technology team.
“It was my English teacher who asked me to join Ashgabat 2017’s First Stars programme,” he said. “I listened to him and signed up immediately after class. I’m proud that I was selected to be a part of all test events in the country so far.
“I was a team member during the Sambo and Kurash test events, but I led the teams during Tennis, Athletics, Basketball and Ju Jitsu competitions. Our job was to upload the events’ details onto the internet. I really enjoyed doing it,” he added.
Becoming a volunteer has sharpened his life skills and taught him the importance of team work.
“Volunteerism taught me how to work together in a team and how to be kind and considerate to your team members. I formed strong bonds with all my co-workers. It was a great privilege to work together and learn from them,” said the youngster.
“I also got an opportunity to polish my language skills by speaking in English a lot. I’m sure Ashgabat 2017 isn’t the last major event our country is going to host. When we bid and win future events, I’m going to be at the forefront to help them with volunteering duties,” he said.
Bayram has already made many memories since becoming a First Star but it is the moments of bonding with his fellow volunteers that have left their mark.
“My best volunteering memory was from my time at the Sambo event. It was my first competition and the experience was unique. At the end of the Closing Ceremony, all team members hugged each other. It was an emotional moment and it felt really special,” he said.
“I have made six new groups of friends from the six events I attended. The sense of camaraderie and friendship which volunteering gives cannot be reproduced anywhere else,” he added.
- Latest News13 September, 2017 (17:00)
- Latest News13 September, 2017 (13:58)
- Latest News12 September, 2017 (13:08)
- Latest News11 September, 2017 (14:45)
- Latest News11 September, 2017 (13:42)
- Latest News09 September, 2017 (12:09)
- Latest News07 September, 2017 (16:59)
- Latest News06 September, 2017 (11:41)
- Latest News03 September, 2017 (09:00)
- Latest News01 September, 2017 (18:43)
- Latest News31 August, 2017 (20:05)
- Latest News29 August, 2017 (11:05)
- Latest News26 August, 2017 (17:00)
- Latest News24 August, 2017 (17:31)
- Latest News21 August, 2017 (17:00)
- Latest News19 August, 2017 (17:00)
- Latest News16 August, 2017 (09:44)
- Latest News14 August, 2017 (11:40)
- Latest News11 August, 2017 (10:04)
- Latest News09 August, 2017 (10:29)