Turkmen teenager aiming to leave a lasting impression on the Tennis courts
Hadzhymyrat Charyyev is hoping that home-team advantage will help him win a medal when he steps onto the Tennis courts at the Ashgabat 2017 5th Asian Indoor and Martial Arts Games.
The 17-year-old hopeful will be trying to replicate the form that won him the Turkmenistan National under 18 singles title in 2014.
Being one of the youngest on the team, Charyyev said he's learned a lot from the older players since his win three years ago.
“I'm really excited to play on the national team with more experienced guys than me.” he said. “They've taught me how to focus on the match, concentrate in and out of the match and they've helped me with a lot of technical things as well.”
Although he is only entered in men's singles at Ashgabat 2017, Charyyev has also been successful playing doubles. He and his Tennis partner, Arslan Orashev, won an International Tennis Federation tournament in Ashgabat last year.
The teenager, who graduated from high school in June, has also spent six months training in Nice.
“France was good,” he said. “I played with some professional Tennis players there who are competing at ATP levels.”
It was in Nice where he experienced one of his Tennis career highlights which he said he would never forget.
“Novak Djokovic was there,” he said, “Someone who has been No.1 in the world! I met him. He was practicing two courts from me. This guy was just hitting so easily. I mean he never lost any power. He's just so good.”
Some of the best players from Asia and Oceania are finalising their plans for Ashgabat 2017 but the ambitious youngster said he will not be fazed and has set himself high ambitions.
“The competiton will be huge,” he said. “The standard will be a very high level, but it's the biggest sports event for Turkmenistan so I would like to win a medal.”
Indoor Tennis will take place at the Indoor Tennis Centre from 16–26 September. There are five gold medal events: men's and women's Singles and Doubles as well as Mixed Doubles.
- Latest News20 September, 2017 (23:16)
- Latest News20 September, 2017 (21:37)
- Latest News20 September, 2017 (19:13)
- Latest News20 September, 2017 (12:30)
- Latest News19 September, 2017 (11:21)
- Latest News18 September, 2017 (12:20)
- Latest News17 September, 2017 (23:30)
- Latest News17 September, 2017 (11:21)
- Latest News16 September, 2017 (20:26)
- Latest News15 September, 2017 (20:36)
- Latest News15 September, 2017 (19:29)
- Latest News14 September, 2017 (18:24)
- Latest News14 September, 2017 (10:31)
- Latest News13 September, 2017 (17:00)
- Latest News13 September, 2017 (09:48)
- Latest News12 September, 2017 (16:28)
- Latest News12 September, 2017 (13:08)
- Latest News12 September, 2017 (12:18)
- Latest News11 September, 2017 (14:45)
- Latest News06 September, 2017 (16:24)