Shining First Stars – Meet Mahym
16 August, 2017 (09:44)
For any athlete, coach or official participating in the Ashgabat 2017 5th Asian Indoor and Martial Arts Games from 17–27 September, receiving their accreditation cards with minimum fuss is an important first step.
However, when the number of athletes and officials expected for the event reaches the thousands, the magnitude of this task can only be imagined. First Stars like Mahym Geldinazarova are being trained to save the day.
Mahym, who will work as an accreditation team leader during the Games, said she was ready for the big challenge ahead.
“I’ll be at my busiest in the run up to and during the first two days of competition. After that, I’ll focus on ensuring athletes and officials won’t have any difficulties using their authorised accreditation cards. It’s a job I enjoy immensely and I’m eagerly looking forward to it,” said Mahym, who is a fourth year English student at the Turkmen National Institute of World Languages.
She recalled her initial baby steps as a First Star.
“I heard about a volunteering opportunity while I was still a first year student in college. One of my teachers announced in class that the Ashgabat 2017 organisers were looking for volunteers for the Games. I applied and was accepted. I’ve really enjoyed my journey so far,” she said.
“Over the years, I’ve been a part of all test events for Ashgabat 2017 except 3X3 Basketball and Sambo. Earlier, I was a part of the venue management team, but wanted to try something new.. so I moved into accreditation and found it was a perfect fit for me” she added.
So what were the events she enjoyed doing the most?
“The best events I volunteered for were Indoor Athletics and Indoor Tennis. Both these competitions had so many athletes from different countries and I loved interacting with them. Being a First Star is helping me improve my spoken English skills considerably. I was able to communicate with sports experts from around the world and it added a lot to my overall education,” she said.
Several of Mahym's friends from class are also a part of the volunteering efforts for Ashgabat 2017.
“For us, this is the opportunity of a lifetime. Everyone is thrilled that the competition is so close. I’m sure it’ll be a very memorable occasion for everyone involved,” she said.
- Latest News13 September, 2017 (17:00)
- Latest News13 September, 2017 (13:58)
- Latest News12 September, 2017 (13:08)
- Latest News11 September, 2017 (14:45)
- Latest News11 September, 2017 (13:42)
- Latest News09 September, 2017 (12:09)
- Latest News07 September, 2017 (16:59)
- Latest News06 September, 2017 (11:41)
- Latest News03 September, 2017 (09:00)
- Latest News01 September, 2017 (18:43)
- Latest News31 August, 2017 (20:05)
- Latest News29 August, 2017 (11:05)
- Latest News26 August, 2017 (17:00)
- Latest News24 August, 2017 (17:31)
- Latest News21 August, 2017 (17:00)
- Latest News19 August, 2017 (17:00)
- Latest News16 August, 2017 (09:44)
- Latest News14 August, 2017 (11:40)
- Latest News11 August, 2017 (10:04)
- Latest News09 August, 2017 (10:29)