India take 15 medals and Turkmenistan 13 on second day of Asian Kickboxing Championships
27 April, 2017 (22:35)
Day two of competition saw countries appear on the medal table for the first time at the Asian Kickboxing Confederation (WAKO Asia) Championships 2016/17 at the Martial Arts Arena in the Ashgabat Olympic Complex on Thursday.
The second day of competition featured 73 semi-finals across six Kickboxing categories, in both the ring and tatami. With each losing semi-finalist being assured of a bronze, the medal count soared.
India topped the standings with 15 bronze, two ahead of host Turkmenistan (13). They were followed by Iran (11), Kyrgyzstan (10), Iraq (five), Syria (four), Tajikistan, Korea (three each), Afghanistan, Macau, Malaysia, Philippines (two each) and Chinese Taipei (one).
Turkmen kickboxers, who seemed to absorb the positive energy from the thousands of vociferous fans in the arena, continued their dream run. They qualified the maximum number of athletes to the finals — 25 — and are now assured of at least as many silver medals.
Iran was also quite successful, with 15 athletes making the cut for the finals. Kickboxers from Tajikistan (11), Kyrgyzstan (10), Iraq (four), India, Chinese Taipei (two each), Syria, Jordan, and Korea and Afghanistan (one each) also qualified for title showdowns.
Turkmenistan’s Aynabat Jumamyradova was the first athlete in any category to enter a final. She defeated Malaysia’s Qian Yee Choo 3-0 in the 48kg women’s K1 event to qualify for the title fight, and was thrilled with the experience.
“This was one of the most memorable fights of my life. Entering the competition arena was a special feeling. I could hear thousands of my countrymen cheering me on. It gave me extra confidence and a will to win. I’m really happy about the outcome.”
Kickboxing action will resume at the Martial Arts Arena of the Ashgabat Olympic Complex on Friday morning.
- Latest News27 September, 2017 (11:11)
- Latest News26 September, 2017 (21:49)
- Latest News25 September, 2017 (22:17)
- Latest News25 September, 2017 (10:20)
- Latest News24 September, 2017 (22:45)
- Latest News24 September, 2017 (10:15)
- Latest News23 September, 2017 (23:48)
- Latest News23 September, 2017 (10:51)
- Latest News14 September, 2017 (18:24)
- Latest News09 September, 2017 (16:42)
- Latest News08 September, 2017 (12:15)
- Latest News08 September, 2017 (12:09)
- Latest News02 May, 2017 (15:02)
- Latest News01 May, 2017 (10:53)
- Latest News29 April, 2017 (23:24)
- Latest News29 April, 2017 (16:00)
- Latest News28 April, 2017 (21:45)
- Latest News27 April, 2017 (22:35)
- Latest News26 April, 2017 (21:16)
- Latest News26 April, 2017 (17:49)