Turkmen tennis players’ first-time breakthrough to the 3rd Group of the Asia-Oceania zone
15 September, 2013 (21:19)
First ever in the 10-year Davis Cup tennis competitions history, the Turkmen tennis team has built the way to the Asia-Oceania Zone Group III of the highly prestigious sport event. This remarkable success our tennis players have achieved in the regional tennis tournament (Group IV) in Dubai (the United Arab Emirates).
Ten teams divided into two groups: “A” – Turkmenistan, Bangladesh, Singapore, Bahrain, Iraq; “B” – Qatar, Saudi Arabia, Jordan, Myanmar, Kyrgyzstan, competed for a pass to the Davis Cup Asia-Oceania Zone Group III.
At the Davis Cup competitions in Dubai, Aleksandr Ernepesov, Georgy Pochay, Eziz Dovletov and Atlymurad Kurbanov represented the team of Turkmenistan. By turns, they have defeated representatives of Bangladesh – 3:0, Singapore – 2:1, Iraq – 3:0, Bahrain – 3:0, having reached the play-offs for two years in a row. Interestingly, two sets were sufficient for our tennis players to win victories in both single and double matches, while it took the Turkmen tennis players three sets to win the doubles with Iraqi sportsmen – 6:3, 3:6, 6:1.
The teams of Turkmenistan and Saudi Arabia competed for a pass to the Asia-Oceania Zone Group III. Saudi Arabian players took the second place in the “B” group. Our sportsmen’s victories in singles were enough for them to win in the play-off match. In the first game, Georgy Pochay won from F. Al Saada in three sets – 1:6, 6:3, 6:3. In the second game, our country’s tennis star Aleksandr Ernepesov confidently beat S. Alrajeh in two sets – 6:1, 6:2. There was no need for a doubles to determine the champion.
Tennis players from Singapore also won (2:1) a pass to the Asia-Oceania Zone Group III in a play-off match versus the Qatari team – a winner in the “B” group.
Turkmen tennis players participate in the Davis Cup competitions since 2004. Last year, they reached the play-offs at a regional tournament Group IV in Doha (Qatar) for the first time, having lost 0:3 to a Cambodian team in the match for a pass to the Group III. This year, having defeated all their rivals at the tournament in the UAE, our sportsmen have built the way to the higher ranking group.
- Latest News26 September, 2017 (21:49)
- Latest News25 September, 2017 (22:17)
- Latest News25 September, 2017 (10:20)
- Latest News24 September, 2017 (10:15)
- Latest News23 September, 2017 (23:48)
- Latest News23 September, 2017 (10:51)
- Latest News22 September, 2017 (22:36)
- Latest News19 September, 2017 (23:02)
- Latest News19 September, 2017 (20:39)
- Latest News08 September, 2017 (12:15)
- Latest News01 September, 2017 (18:14)
- Latest News21 August, 2017 (10:21)
- Latest News22 May, 2017 (16:00)
- Latest News28 September, 2016 (11:34)
- Latest News23 September, 2016 (21:40)
- Latest News22 September, 2016 (11:04)
- Other News
Horse run relay race: Balkan province received the horse relay race in honor of the Asian Games 201726 June, 2016 (19:40)
- Latest News06 March, 2016 (10:28)
- Latest News01 February, 2016 (18:09)
- Latest News14 November, 2013 (21:15)