3x3 Basketball is played on a half basketball court with one hoop. Two teams consisting of three players, compete against each other.
The sport was first contested at the 2009 Asian Indoor Games in Ho Chi Min City, Vietnam, with Iran winning the men’s competition and Thailand the women’s.
Originally known as FIBA 3x3, 3x3 Basketball is derived from the original form of Basketball which is played five-a-side.
Played on a half court, both teams score in the same basket. The ball must be ‘cleared’ – passed or dribbled outside the three-point line – each time possession of the ball changes from one team to the other.
Basketball was invented by the Canadian Dr. James Naismith in 1891.
The first official basketball game consisting of nine team members was played in 1892.
After its invention, Basketball rapidly became a popular sport, and the International Basketball Federation (FIBA) was founded in 1932. The National Basketball Association (NBA) was created in the late 1940s.
Men's Basketball was first included in the Olympics in Berlin in 1936.
3x3 Basketball was first tested at the 2007 Asian Indoor Games in Macau and the first official tournaments were held at the 2009 Asian Youth Games, the 2009 Asian Indoor Games and the 2010 Youth Olympics. The first FIBA 3x3 World Championships for senior teams were held in Athens in 2012.
At Ashgabat 2017
The 3x3 Basketball competition will take place over seven days between 18–24 September at the Basketball Arena. Men and women will compete for a gold medal in their respective categories.
Teams will be divided into two groups for the preliminary round where they will play each other in their respective group. The top four teams from each group will advance through to the quarter-finals where a straight knock-out will continue through to the final.
- 3x3 made its first appearance on the international stage at the 2010 Youth Olympic Games
- An online player community and tournament network platform 3x3Planet was launched in June 2012
|No medals awarded|
News #3x3 Basketball
- Latest NewsToday (10:15)
- Latest News23 September, 2017 (23:48)
- Latest News23 September, 2017 (10:51)
- Latest News22 September, 2017 (18:06)
- Latest News21 September, 2017 (18:10)
- Latest News21 September, 2017 (10:18)
- Latest News19 September, 2017 (23:02)
- Latest News19 September, 2017 (16:56)
- Latest News18 September, 2017 (23:59)
- Latest News08 September, 2017 (12:15)
- Latest News02 September, 2017 (13:23)
- Latest News27 August, 2017 (09:00)
- Latest News17 August, 2017 (11:54)
- Latest News01 August, 2017 (10:43)
- Latest News03 July, 2017 (17:28)
- Latest News22 May, 2017 (16:00)
- Latest News21 May, 2017 (11:42)
- Latest News08 April, 2017 (14:29)
- Latest News29 December, 2016 (12:15)
- Latest News06 November, 2016 (12:33)